Acceptable Use Policy
Thank you for reading FibreStream (Pty) Ltd Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). By accessing this website, or by contracting with us for service, you agree, without limitation or qualification, to be bound by this policy and the terms and conditions it contains, as well as any other additional terms, conditions, rules or policies which are displayed to you in connection with this service/website.
The purpose of this AUP is to comply with the relevant laws of the Republic; to specify to customers and users of our service/website what activities and online behaviour are considered an unacceptable use of the service/website; to protect the integrity of our network and to specify the consequences that may flow from undertaking such prohibited activities.
This document contains a number of legal obligations which you are presumed to be familiar with. As such, we encourage you to read this document thoroughly and direct any queries to our customer services/legal department at +27-87-160- 0285.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd respects the rights of our customers and users of our services to freedom of speech and expression; access to information; privacy; human dignity; religion, belief and opinion in accordance with our constitution. We undertake not to interfere with any of those rights unless required to do so by law; unless those rights are exercised for unlawful purposes; or unless the exercise of those rights threatens to cause harm to another person or affect the integrity of our network.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd services/website may only be used for lawful purposes and activities. We prohibit any use of our website/network including the transmission, storage and distribution of any material or content using our network that violates any law or regulation of the Republic. This includes:
- Any violation of local and international laws prohibiting child pornography; obscenity; discrimination (including racial, gender or religious slurs) and hate speech; or speech designed to incite violence or hatred, or threats to cause bodily harm.
- Any activity designed to defame, abuse, stalk, harass or physically threaten any individual in the Republic or beyond its borders; including any attempt to link to, post, transmit or otherwise distribute any inappropriate or defamatory material.
- Any violation of Intellectual Property laws including materials protected by local and international copyright, trademarks and trade secrets. Moreover FibreStream (Pty) Ltd cannot be held liable if you make any unlawful use of any multimedia content accessed through the search facility provided by FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network, or otherwise available through access to our network, whether for commercial or noncommercial purposes.
- Any violation of the individual’s right to privacy, including any effort to collect personal data of third parties without their consent.
- Any fraudulent activity whatsoever, including dubious financial practices, such as pyramid schemes; the impersonation of another subscriber without their consent; or any attempt to enter into a transaction with FibreStream (Pty) Ltd on behalf of another subscriber without their consent.
- Any violation of the exchange control laws of the Republic.
- Any activity that results in the sale, transmission or distribution of pirated or illegal software.
Failing to respond to a request by a recipient of unsolicited mail to be removed from any mailing or direct marketing list and continuing to send unsolicited mail following such a request for removal.
Where any user resides outside of the Republic, permanently or temporarily, such user will be subject to the laws of the country in which s/he is currently resident and which apply. On presentation of a legal order to do so, or under obligation through an order for mutual foreign legal assistance, FibreStream (Pty) Ltd will assist foreign law enforcement agencies (LEA) in the investigation and prosecution of a crime committed using FibreStream (Pty) Ltd resources, including the provisioning of all personal identifiable data.
The following sections outline activities that are considered an unacceptable use of FibreStream (Pty) Ltd services/ network/website and also detail the guidelines for acceptable use of certain facilities/services, as the case may be.
Threats to Network Security
Any activity which threatens the functioning, security and/ or integrity of FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network is unacceptable. This includes:
Any efforts to attempt to gain unlawful and unauthorised access to the network or circumvent any of the security measures established by FibreStream (Pty) Ltd for this goal;
Any effort to use FibreStream (Pty) Ltd equipment to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network or account (“cracking” or “hacking”);
Forging of any TCP-IP packet header (spoofing) or any part of the header information in an email or a newsgroup posting;
Any effort to breach or attempt to breach the security of another user or attempt to gain access to any other person’s computer, software, or data without the knowledge and consent of such person;
Any activity which threatens to disrupt the service offered by FibreStream (Pty) Ltd through “denial of service attacks”; flooding of a network, or overloading a service or any unauthorised probes (“scanning” or “nuking”) of others’ networks;
Any activity which in any way threatens the security of the network by knowingly posting, transmitting, linking to or otherwise distributing any information or software which contains a virus; Trojan horse; worm, lock, mail bomb, cancelbot or other harmful, destructive or disruptive component.
Any unauthorised monitoring of data or traffic on the network without FibreStream (Pty) Ltd explicit, written consent.
Any unsolicited mass mailing activity including direct marketing; spam and chain letters for commercial or other purposes, without the consent of the recipients of those mails.
Public Space and Third Party Content and sites
In reading this AUP or in signing a service contract with FibreStream (Pty) Ltd, you acknowledge that FibreStream (Pty) Ltd has no power to control the content of the information passing over the Internet and its applications, including e-mail; chat rooms; news groups; or other similar fora, and that FibreStream (Pty) Ltd cannot be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any of the above-mentioned content, in any way for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of, or in connection with your use of, or reliance on, any such content.
Our services also offer access to numerous third party webpages. You acknowledge that we exercise absolutely no control over such third party content, or sites and in such cases, our network is merely a conduit or means of access and transmission. This includes, but is not limited to, third party content contained on or accessible through the FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network websites and web pages or sites displayed as search results or contained within a directory of links on the FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network. It remains your responsibility to review and evaluate any such content, and that any and all risk associated with the use of, or reliance on, such content rests with you.
Access to public Internet spaces, such as bulletin boards, Usenet groups, chat rooms and moderated forums is entirely voluntary and at your own risk.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd employees do not moderate any of these services, or your communications, transmissions or use of these services. We do not undertake any responsibility for any content contained therein, or for any breaches of your right to privacy that you may experience as a result of accessing such spaces. Usenet Newsgroups The customer is responsible for determining and familiarizing himself or herself with the written policies of a given newsgroup before posting to it. The customer must comply with these guidelines at all times which can be obtained from other users of the newsgroup upon request, or from the group’s administrators/moderators.
The following are prohibited practices with regard to Usenet newsgroups and FibreStream (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to delete and/or cancel posts which violate the following conditions:
- Excessive cross-posting of the same article to multiple newsgroups.
- Posting of irrelevant or off-topic material to newsgroups (also known as USENET spam).
- Posting binaries to a non-binary newsgroup.
- Posting adverts, solicitations, or any other commercial messages unless the guidelines of the newsgroup in question explicitly permit them.
Unsolicited, Spam and Junk mail
Spam and unsolicited bulk mail are highly problematic practices. They affect the use and enjoyment of services by others and often compromise network security. FibreStream (Pty) Ltd will take swift and firm action against any user engaging in any of the following unacceptable practices:
- Sending unsolicited bulk mail for marketing or any other purposes (political, religious or commercial) to people who have not consented to receiving such mail;
- Operating or maintaining mailing lists without the express permission of all recipients listed;
- Failing to promptly remove from lists invalid or undeliverable addresses or addresses of unwilling recipients or a recipient who has indicated s/he wishes to be removed from such list;
- Using FibreStream (Pty) Ltd service to collect responses from unsolicited e-mail sent from accounts on other Internet hosts or e-mail services, that violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet service provider;
- Including FibreStream (Pty) Ltd name in the header or by listing an IP address that belongs to FibreStream (Pty) Ltd in any unsolicited email whether sent through FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network or not;
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd provides a spam and virus filtering system to protect customers from unsolicited mail and viruses. The customer acknowledges that this system might incorrectly identify a valid message as spam or as a virus and consequently this message might not be delivered to the customer. The customer acknowledges and agrees that FibreStream (Pty) Ltd shall without limitation have no responsibility for, or liability in respect of any data lost as a result of this system.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to examine incoming or outgoing mail to the extent necessary to determine if it is classified as spam.
Webmail and other web based email services made available by FibreStream (Pty) Ltd are provided on an “as is” basis without representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, and the customer acknowledges and agrees that FibreStream (Pty) Ltd shall have no responsibility for, or liability in respect of, any aspect of the Webmail services, including without limitation for any lost or damaged data or any acts or omissions of FibreStream (Pty) Ltd. As webmail storage space is limited, some Webmail messages may not be processed due to space constraints or message limitations.
Webmail is provided to individuals and for personal use only. Any unauthorised commercial use of the Webmail service, or resale of the Webmail service is expressly prohibited.
Protection of Minors
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd prohibits customers from using FibreStream (Pty) Ltd service to harm or attempt to harm a minor, including, but not limited to, by hosting, possessing, disseminating, distributing or transmitting material that is unlawful, including child pornography.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Customers are responsible for any misuse of FibreStream (Pty) Ltd services that occurs through the customer’s account. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that unauthorised persons do not gain access to or misuse FibreStream (Pty) Ltd service.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd urges customers not to reply to unsolicited mail or “spam”, not to click on any suggested links provided in the unsolicited mail. Doing so remains the sole responsibility of the customer and FibreStream (Pty) Ltd cannot be held liable for the Customer being placed on any bulk mailing lists as a result.
Where the customer has authorised a minor to use any of the FibreStream (Pty) Ltd services or access its websites, you accept that as the parent/legal guardian of that minor, you are fully responsible for: the online conduct of such minor; controlling the minor’s access to and use of any services or websites; and the consequences of any misuse by the minor, including but not limited to transactions entered into by the minor using such access.
FibreStream (Pty) Ltd cannot be held liable for any business dealings you have with any third parties on the Internet, including any vendors, or advertisers found on, or through, the FibreStream (Pty) Ltd network. Further, FibreStream (Pty) Ltd assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any charges you or any user of your account incurs when making purchases or other transactions in this manner. Further, the responsibility for ensuring compliance with all applicable customs and exchange control laws in connection with any such transactions shall be the customer’s.